The day finally arrived when we met as a Courageous Girls Club, with moms and daughters present! It was an exciting day, as it was the first time that we’ve met altogether. Beforehand, I’ve met with just the moms 3 times - on an October, November, and January Sunday evenings at a restaurant. But this marked the first time that we all met with our daughters…
I had 3 goals:
- Introduce what the Courageous Girls Club is about.
- Get to know each other.
- Have fun together to grow connection + establish that moms do everything girls do.
Our agenda for the first meeting:
2. Introduce ourselves
3. Talk about why we are here...
The name of the club is Courageous Girls Club: What is courage? What does being courageous mean?
-It is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.
“It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.” -e.e. cummings
What do you think this means? Talk it through.
4. Talk about what the CGC is about and what we plan to do together
5. Olympic Ice-breaker
The meeting happened to be during the 2018 Winter Olympics, so we took advantage and put together a fun Olympic style competition that included 4 events for our 3 teams + opening & closing ceremonies.
Opening ceremony: lighting candles, one for each competitor to the dramatic music of the "Olympic Fanfare" by John Williams.
Closing ceremony: blowing out our own candles to "We are the Champions" by Queen.
- SPEED SKATING RELAY - skate around the cones on paper plates, one team member at a time, and pass the baton to your teammate after each round.
- CENTIPEDE SPEED SKATING - in 3 groups, competing against each other at the same time. Everyone was wearing their skates (paper plates) and had balloons between team members. First to the wall won the race.
- CURLING - tennis ball + broomstick. One team member rolled the ball, and another team member with one touch of the broomstick had to land the ball onto the highest number possible.
- CROSS COUNTRY SKIING - first to travel to the wall on two planks of wood won. This was harder and funnier than previously imagined.
6. Art activity - I can't imagine life without...
It's a great art activity that helps everyone get to know each other better, and you can make it as simple or as fancy as you like. We drew our own pictures, and filled it in with our own ideas, but look here for a template if you need it. Everyone shared their creation afterwards.
It was an awesome start to our story together... so excited that we have officially begun!!!